22.12.07

A Whore By Any Other Name

I was walking down the hallway on my way to Chem yesterday, and some girl [a girl I had had words with on multiple occasions] rammed into me and muttered, "goddamn whore...." under her breath. Now, any normal person would be upset that their morality had been doubted in such a way. Me, not so much. I don't have morals, I have ethics, and my lack of morals is well known around the school.

However, one thought that did pop into my mind was "Why is it that when a girl exercises her right to sleep with any guy she chooses, she's a whore, but when a guy does the same, it's acceptable? He gets called a player, or a pimp, neither of which hold the same negative connotations that whore, skank, or slut does." My mind went back and forth over this as Mr. Pope droned on about electron configurations, but alas, no answer came.

So I asked my mother when I got home. She said something along the lines of it is that way because a girl who sleeps around has no self respect. I held my tongue, because I didn't want to have that argument with her; but I felt she was wrong. I, and many of my friends, have large amounts of self respect. If we don't want to do something, we don't do it. That's why most of us don't enter into serious relationships: we don't want to.

Other people make the argument of low self esteem. Hmm, how about no? Once again, I have amazing self esteem, bordering on conceit. I mean, I have my bad days where I feel fat and ugly, but on the whole, I know I'm a beautiful girl who is well read, witty, and confident. Like I said, I'm pretty damn secure.

So my quest for answers continued. My father said it was because women are supposed to pure and virtuous, and women who abandon that virtue become less than disireable. Right.... women are supposed to remain innocent, but guys can sleep around their entire adolescence, and then go scoop up a virgin when they want to settle down? No thank you. Besides, what guy in his right mind wants a virgin anyway?

But I digress.

Why is it all right for a guy to do these things? Because he's a guy. Bull shit. Because it's his job as a man to spread his seed [[this one came from a health teacher... ah, the educational system at it's best.]] Once again, bull shit. Because other guys don't see it as a bad thing. DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER.

That's exactly it. The girls who get called whores do not get called whores by guys. It's other girls. Jealous girls. Guys don't care if a girl is a cherry or not. All they care about is the fact that there is a possibility that they might get laid. Girls however, are all about reputation.

Right. Yeah. Ok. Just another example of how us women just make life more difficult for ourselves.

1 comment:

Libertine said...

Good entry.

I've always believed that what is good for the goose is good for the gander...or the reverse in this case.

A promiscuous female is "sex-positive", a hedonist....or even a libertine, just like me.

It's amazing that this particular double standard has held on so long.