30.4.08

High School

So I went down to the guidence office today to get some guidence. What happened there shocked and appalled me.

I was trying to pin down my schedule for next year; finalize my independent classes, and try to weasle my way in to a weighted math class.

And I did.

However, as always, my guidence counselor asked me what I actually want to do with my life. Unsatisfied with my shoulder shrug and "...idunno...." answer, he handed me a folder.

"These are some career options that the guidence staff feels would be appropriate for you."

Yeah. ok. whatever. I took the folder, and went back to class.
When I started looking throught hte folder at lunch, I realized how little faith the school actually has in me.

What was inside? you ask. Ohhhh let me tell you.

Inside was about 15 brochures, detailing a whole bunch of jobs. Such as: Food Service Administrator: Everyone's Gotta Eat!; Cosmotoligists: Beautifying the World; Careers in the Cleaning Industry; The Exciting World Of Administrative Assistants; Are you Interested in a Career as a Dental Hygenist?; and some other such nonesense.

But the icing on the cake:

You and the Adult Entertainment Industry.

Damn.

In some twisted way I was flattered. I was also intrigued. Who makes a brochure about the adult entertainment industry?

But I had to go back down, pretend to be offended, and pretend to cry, just to make their lives a little harder.

SO I DID.

Partially because my mother would FLIP if she found out that the school thought I had a non-professional future. Because she made damn sure that when I was in grammar school, I got a GIEP [[gifted individualized education program]. She made damn sure I was in the top ten percent of my class. She made DAMN sure that I was not slacking off.

And I calmly, rationally, and slowly [so they'd understand me] told them all of that.
And the guidence counsel told me: We know you have the grades for a professional career, we just don't think you have the motivation or the capacity to be in an adult, professional, workplace. We think you'd be better off if your workplace was a little more like high school.

like my friend Solar always said, "Jackie baby, high school's never over."

2 comments:

Johnny Wadd said...

It really said adult entertainment industry??

I had one of those things too in high school, everyone did and they are completely useless. I think they told me i shoulda been a fucking farmer or something. Right.

Sway said...

yeah seriously
adult entertainment industry.

It actually makes it seem like a promising career choice.
lol.